We’ve postponed our Action Day for Sunday 4th March to Sunday 18th March 12-3pm
Just as we were preparing to get active for the new growing season, snow, ice and bitingly cold wind hit the UK. On Thursday 1st March, the start of ‘meteorological spring’, the temperatures were below freezing most of the day and Brighton Greenway was very still under a powdering of snow. However, the forecast for Sunday suggested a thaw and by Friday, it looked liked we’d dodged the threatened Storm Emma in this part of the south-east.
We thought we would be able to manage some litter-picking at our Sunday session even if the ground was frozen solid. But as temperatures have become a bit more seasonal today (Saturday) and the snow has all but disappeared, the forecast for Sunday is now showing heavy rain from midday. A combination of heavy rain, relative cold and hard ground is not a great one for a community gardening session, so we’ve postponed it until mid-Spring when we may have better conditions and should be able to get more done.